Friday, August 29, 2014

finding a coach

Most people who compete already know this, but a personal trainer vs. competition prep coach are 2 different things. I got my degree in exercise science and went on and got CPT certified, but I would not feel comfortable nor qualified to get someone ready for a show. There's a lot of nutrition tweaking especially those final weeks and you need someone who really has expertise in that area!

A year or so ago, I met with a prep coach who I know is really awesome. I was still losing the baby weight but he was really encouraging and I could tell he knew his stuff, and when I decided to compete, I figured I would hire him. A few months later, I met with him again, and the visit went really weird. I had been working out hardcore on my own, felt like I was making really good progress, getting fit and leaner, and he told me I was not lean enough to even *start* a 16-week prep, and if I did, there would be no room for error. He also gave me a number for a plastic surgeon... because I showed him my separated abs (from pregnancy).
I think this was coach was having an off day (he shall not be named because I know he's really a great guy and coach), but I left that visit SO discouraged. He showed zero faith in me, and made me feel like I was giving him nothing to start with. (And what kind of trainer tells you you should go get surgery?!)

And from that, I discovered something about myself:
If you tell me I'm not good enough, or I can't do something, I might cry about it for a minute (or a day), but that fuels a fire of motivation to do everything I can to prove you wrong.

Meanwhile, I had another trainer friend who I'd met from my previous competition named Robyn. I wish I had known from the getgo that she was offering competition prep because she had been after me for a while to compete again! I'd run into her at the gym and she was so cute and so encouraging. I decided I would eventually hire her.

Long story short, I moved to Texas with my husband's job, decided to compete out there, and contacted Robyn. I sent her my current picture, at 9 weeks out from a show (which is not very long), and she told me I could do it. It's go time.

People, listen up. Coach #1 may have been right, that I wasn't ready for prep, which is not what I wanted to hear, but when it came down to it, I wanted a coach that believed in me! I remember thinking to myself, "I'm going to prove you wrong, and I'm going to compete with someone else as my coach, and I'm going to beat your clients at my show. I can be feisty sometimes.

These are the pics I sent to Robyn, when we started at 9 weeks out, long distance while I was in Texas for the summer. (We did all our prep through texting, pictures and email!)
( I would love to point out also, that the scale is pointless. There is only a 6-pound difference from beginning to show day. I will elaborate another day ;)

Show day, backstage

Didn't have surgery, didn't do anything crazy, but me and Robyn were a good team and were successful! And now she's off this weekend to compete at her show in Pittsburgh, trying to win her pro card!! So excited for her! And if anyone is interested in her info, here's her website =)

She offers all sorts of training and fitness coaching not limited to competition prep and she's pretty much amazing and practices what she preaches.
trainerrobyn.com



1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome! I love seeing your progress... it gives me hope. :)

    ReplyDelete