Sunday, September 14, 2014

competing from an LDS perspective

I don't mean to be controversial, and I owe no explanation to anyone, but these are my thoughts..

I'm an active member of the LDS church, always have been and like it that way =)
In our religion, we believe in chastity and modesty, so I can understand if people believe I'm contradictory in my standards. Whatever you believe, competing is not right for everyone!

I found this on Instagram and recently reposted it to my Facebook:
And that is why I do what I do.

There are girls who think it's a fun idea to go compete for the sake of looking hot, getting attention, or whatever. I think for most of us though, this is bodybuilding. I wear a skimpy suit on stage for a day, but the rest of the time, I bust my A in the gym, looking gross but finding pride in pushing myself further, for the sake of fitness.
Please DO NOT mistake me for taking a part of a different industry- one that I despise. And there's a great article about that here
I believe that we are given rules and commandments to follow, but we have the freedom to make decisions for ourselves based on our lives and what we feel is appropriate for us. There may be people frowning upon my lifestyle, but it is my opinion that people who don't exercise, but who eat donuts and drink coke all day are breaking the Word of Wisdom, a code of health that keeps us free of addiction and encourages us to take care of our bodies. But that's your business ;)
I just do what's right for me. But my husband's opinion is also extremely important to me.

Aaron was not thrilled about me wanting to compete again. I understood and respected his reasons, and held off for a while. Of course he doesn't love that his wife is wearing almost nothing on a stage for everyone to see. Competing can make you very self-absorbed and obsessive about your body, not to mention it can suck your money and time away!
I felt guilty pursuing this, but in time he started to realize why this was important to me. I had something to prove to myself and I was determined to be successful. He's become sooo supportive and I would not continue without him backing me. It meant the world to me that he flew in from Dallas to surprise me and be there at my show. 

But we decided, if at any time my focus drifts away from what is truly important, I won't hesitate to hang up my competition heels. Having a great physique is not worth putting my family or faith aside. 
With anything else in life, it's about balance and doing what's right for you. Besides, no matter what you do, there will always be haters! Lucky for me though, I've had such great comments and feedback and encouragement. So thank you!

Training and diet has commenced for Nationals in November! Wish me luck and lots of willpower ;)

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate this post. I too am LDS and competing was not met with the most positive reaction from a lot of people in my life. It's wonderful to know others believe the way I do and are successful and happy in the competition world!

    ReplyDelete