Wednesday, September 24, 2014

supplement basics

I've been asked quite a bit about supplements. This is something I am not the expert on, because in the past, I haven't taken a lot. They're meant to "supplement" your diet, so first and foremost you need to be eating right, then fill in where you're lacking.

I'm addressing women who may have similar goals to mine, in that they want to lose weight, and build muscle but be lean, and "toned." All of the above right? =)

Weight training should be a part of everyone's routine, and to encourage growth, you gotta up the protein! The best sources are from real whole foods: chicken, tuna, eggs, etc, but a quick protein shake is always really beneficial especially before or after a workout.

I've tried LOTS of protein powders, and I don't think they're all created equal. Whey seems to be the most popular, and that's what I stick to (although I've heard casein is best when trying to bake with protein powder).

I get most of my supplements from Mixers Nutrition! They're located in Glendale, AZ and expanding to Utah soon (yay!) If you're in Arizona, mention my name and they'll hook you up with a smoothie! ;)
Also, if you are local and want to try anything out, I can arrange a discount too!

My favorite protein powders are:

Cellucor peanut butter marshmallow (I know right?!)
and
Dymatize ISO 100 (I feel like it's a purer protein without added carbs or fat, and less calories)
They just came out with 2 new flavors: Birthday cake and fudge brownie. Total yum!!

I love protein bars but I'm very particular. Really, the only ones I'll eat anymore are Quest. Clean and nutritionally balanced, they're the only way to go PLUS they taste awesome! We went to the Olympia last weekend and walked through the expo where there were TONS of protein bars and other supplements to try.
Nothing's as good as Quest! Besides, now they have protein chips now. Amazing.

I recommend a good multivitamin for everyone. Sometimes I eat gummies because they taste like candy.. not because I think they actually help ;) Truth. Get something legit!

I do take a pre-workout but not every single day, every single workout. I don't want to depend on caffeine. I'm still trying to nail down my favorite.

Fat burners:
So if you've ever struggled with your weight, maybe you've taken one or contemplated it.
I remember I did in college, felt crazy on them, and then never really saw weight loss.
Here's the thing: Hydroxycut or Xenadrine or whatever magic fat loss pill says on the label that it works in conjunction with proper diet and exercise. I always exercised but never was as consistent with my diet. Thus, no results. Lots of competitors take them to aid in stripping the last bit of fat off, but it's really important that you follow the instructions, and you cycle off. 
For me personally, I like RoxyLean (and that shiz is strong), but again I don't want to have to "need it" if that makes sense. I'd rather have my body burn its own fat, and use a fat burner as a last resort. Don't think it's a miracle pill, because there is no such thing.

There are other methods of aiding fat loss, like L-carnitine, CLA, chromium, green tea, etc. that are worth looking into. 

BCAA's:
This was new to me when I started training for shows. Branch chain amino acids help support lean muscle and aid in recovery and growth. Great for before, during and after a workout.

There are numerous other supplements for specific goals that you can research, and figure out what works for you. Every body is different and reacts in its own way, so it may be some experimentation.

Bottom line though: Nothing gets you in shape like good old fashioned healthy eating and exercise!



No comments:

Post a Comment