Wednesday, September 3, 2014

competition diet

I dunno if this is news to anyone, but you can't out-train a bad diet. The nutrition aspect is usually really hard for me. I know how to shop clean, cook clean, and eat clean, but in normal settings, I give myself wiggle room for treats, and parties, and eating out. During this prep, I had no cheat meals (til one week out). That's the hardest part for me is in social settings where I don't like to make a scene with my stupid tupperware or go to a restaurant, toting my own food.
In competition prep, I do things that I don't like doing. But I stayed pretty focused, and it got easier.

First thing- I don't like eating gross food.

Plain chicken or tilapia without any seasoning with tasteless vegetables just is not my thing.
Robyn gave me an exact nutrition plan, and I loved just about everything that was on it. It's amazing how good your body feels when it's totally rid of sugar and sodium and all sorts of crap (although I don't eat a ton of that anyway).
Again I won't give out specifics, but I ate regularly, and I wasn't starving. I realized something from that too. I used to have the impression that if you're cutting calories to lose fat, you shouldn't be so low that you're hungry. True, you shouldn't be famished, but expect to be a little uncomfortable. Your body doesn't like it because you're in a deficit. It's really hard at times, but for the most part, I felt fine.
I never went below 1500 calories. Just sayin. Never went super low or no carbs, never cut out fats. I don't believe in diets that encourage cutting out entire essential food groups long-term.

My diet consisted of tons of protein the whole way through. I had complex carbs/fruit and healthy fats, plenty of vegetables, and drank tons of water. It felt like a very normal and balanced way of eating, and I felt really good all the way up to show day, without doing anything crazy. 

On comp prep, you just learn to get creative with your seasonings. Stevia, all sorts of mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, sriracha, cinnamon, Mrs. Dash, and herbs. I came up with the best dressings and sauces ;) But like I said, I wanna enjoy my food! Prep is not supposed to be miserable...

Although, at times, like when I take my kids to Krispy Kreme, and have to just sip on water, it kinda sucks haha



Baby steps ;)

No, but really, it gets easier. Early on in my prep, I was on family vacation, had a day where I totally lost it, and and ate a whole bunch of crap. I was pissed about it later, but the next day, I got back on track and had to just refocus, chug lots of water and forget about previous days' mistakes. You can't fall off the wagon and then just stay there, beating yourself up about it.
Did I on occasion lick my kids' brownie batter? Yep I did. Sneak a bite of homemade pretzels I made. Yes, because I am human.
But I became better at keeping it at that, and getting back to the plan.
Consistency is key people!

Even during peak week where people are doing all sorts of crazy stuff, I really didn't...
We kind of just eased into show day, so it felt great!

I think this was 1 day out, posing practice in the garage =) Not hungry, just nervous!
And know that you're only that tight and that lean for a day. I look nothing like this picture today. It's sad but reality =(

Horrible lighting but we hit up Cheesecake Factory after the show. Their pizza is not that good. But I ate it, cuz I could ;) And maybe some carrot cake cheesecake as well. I felt sick for the next 2 days..


1 comment:

  1. That pizza looks bigger than you!! Thanks for sharing all of these posts. It helps keep me motivated! Some day I will do a show. I'm thinking 2015... I'm still jot sure about a bikini shoe tho bc I'm short, my shoulder are huge and wide and my booty and quads are pretty muscular too. ike to know more about what the judges look for in each category.

    ReplyDelete