Saturday, September 27, 2014

the down side of competing


There’s a lot of reasons people don’t compete who want to, so I’m going to tell you all the reasons why it sucks lol..

It’s expensive. 
Here’s just a layout of what a typical show costs, based on my experience:

Coach: $500-1200 depending on who and how much time you need and if they train you in person
Suit: anywhere from $75 renting to $1000+ buying one! Yeah that tiny sparkly piece of fabric costs that much
Posing lessons: $25-100 not required, but you better be practicing with someone who knows their stuff! You don't wanna be the girl with the awesome physique but horrible presentation who loses the show.
NPC (or whatever federation) registration: $120
Actual local show registration: $75-150
Spray tan for show: $75+
Make-up and hair for show: $100-300 depending on who does it, and how many days.. Sometimes you have pre-judge on Friday, then Finals on Saturday. 2 days worth of stage make-up
Heels: $50 ish
Potential photo shoots or buying photos from the show: $80-400
Nails before show: $50 this is optional, I've decided that Forever 21 $2 nail polish is what's happening for me.
Jewelry: $40-75 ish. Even that Claire's fake crap is expensive!
If you travel for a show (like me for Nationals), you’re paying for a hotel, a flight, car, etc! This is no joke!

Then you have your gym membership, your food (protein gets expensive, and you eat a lot of it!), plus supplements.


Is this terrifying to anyone yet?? Most of us do not have this kind of money just laying around for "extracurricular" hobbies like competing.

And this is why competitors kindly ask for sponsors to help them through all this. (Subtle enough? Anyone? Please?? ;)


Sooooo... besides being a financial bomb, here’s what you sacrifice:
Time- it depends on the person, but some have to spend A LOT of time working out.
It takes time and effort and planning to prep your food.
You don’t get to eat out.. unless an occasional cheat meal.
Because of that, you feel a little socially awkward and get tired of carrying Tupperware into restaurants to eat while everyone else has pizza.
You’re not fun to take on a date, because you “can’t eat anything.”
You’re often tired, carb-depleted, and end up emotional and grouchy. Especially close to show date.
You run the risk of obsessing over food, your body, and experiencing post-show weight gain, and depression.
(By the way, if you have tendencies towards disordered eating, distorted body image, etc, just be aware this sport probably isn't for you).

So why the freak are we doing this?! 

This whole list of suckiness probably just turned a lot of people off, but it’s reality! Those stage photos represent your best physique, and most likely the best shape of your life, but most people on the outside don’t know what got you there and what it took to reach that moment. And trophy or not, you’ve accomplished something huge. Most likely your family has made sacrifices too, for you to reach your goals. 

And people ask me all the time, so how much money do you get when you win??
Uhhhhhh... a $30 trophy? Even at the pro level when you do get a check for placing, it's not much. You don't really have a career from merely competing.


We compete for the love of the sport, and the challenge of pushing ourselves further each time. Lots of of us have to scrimp and save and beg to be able to fund it all. 
But it is FUN! I love that I've met so many people who share the same passion. Prep is so much better when you are surrounded by people who can relate and are supportive and are on the same crazy journey with you.

Posing practice from this morning. Thanks Heather Dees and those who took these pictures lol. Always a good time =)

Thank you to those sponsors I do have who are encouraging and supportive in my journal towards Nationals!! 8 weeks ya'll!




For local competitors, I thought I'd share some of my people who help me look and do my best, and who I'll be calling on in the future!
I rented my suit, which was made by Bonnie. She's amazing!
Competition tan by Shawn and Karim. It was perfect.
Lovely make-up for all my shoots and shows by my bestie Megan.
I do my own hair for shows, but my colorist is so awesome! She's here in Lehi, and I can give her number to anyone interested =)
And of course, my awesome coach Robyn
I do posing with Robyn, but also with IFBB pro Heather Dees.
And the show's photographer,  Lyman who specializes in fitness shoots. 



No comments:

Post a Comment